Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Heart Away from Home


I thank Mark Zuckberg for avenues such as Facebook, which I've consistently rely upon to receive updates from friends and family.  However, it brings to mind the fact that my life is drifting farther and farther away from those who I left behind nearly a year and a half ago.  I ponder to myself what life would have been like if I hadn't made the decision to join Peace Corps.  Sometimes I vacillate between wanting the salaried figure, the big grand investments (car, home, and sofa from Ikea), and the rock on my finger, the promotion or to continue on this wannabe Indiana Jones / Mother Theresa adventure.   There is no way I can label my decision to live abroad in a developing nation as superior to my peers who have chosen a more traditional avenue to pursue.  Having lived abroad, and for a majority of that time removed from basic conveniences and technology, has created rifts between once unbreakable bonds.  It’s helped me discern the high context and low context relationships in my life, and to reevaluate my criteria for friendship.  However, I can’t be bitter, as I understand it’s natural that time and distance forces change to occur.   In what ways will I be able to compensate for the lost time?  Will I be able to slide my way back into my old social circles, laugh at the same jokes, and continue old hobbies? Will children of family members recognize me? Without a doubt I will become emotional when I hold babies whom I've never met before.  But honestly I still have a year before these issues become relevant.  For now, I enjoy long bike rides over the plateau, grinding rice in large mortar and pestles, teaching English and art at the local primary school, and having beers while discussing politics with my Malagasy friends.  The rest I’ll worry about when my plane lands on American soil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment