Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bad Luck Rainbow


According to Malagasy belief rainbows (sobeha) usher in death. Yes these colorful rays of light that dance across the sky after the rain, and if you are fast and crafty enough you can catch the leprechaun and the pot o'gold he's guarding at the end of the arch. when I explain this Western belief to people here they throw me stern looks that say they think I'm insane because rainbows kill here and are bad omens. If it touches you you will die, unless you are pregnant in which case you are immune.

"When I was young I used to bike as fast as I could, racing my friends to find the gold pot. There you'll find a little man who wears green and has a red beard," Christina

"Haha, you are so weird," Malagasy co-worker Brian's reaction.

Its fascinating how one's attitude towards the same exact object can be completely different depending on which part of the globe they live in.

"We even have a tasty candy called Skittles whose slogan is 'taste the rainbow' ", Christina

"Haha, so strange," Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment