Friday, February 17, 2012

One year down, one to go (toana iraiky tavela)

As the one year anniversary of my arrival to Madagascar is coming up, I ponder to myself how I've changed since I first landed here. If my family and friends came to my door right now would they recognize me? The answer is, of course they would. I'm a bit slighter than I used to be not to mention a few shades darker. Physically I am the same speciment I was then with the addition of a few scars here and there. but what intrinsically has altered about me? For starters, a bit of the idealistic glimmer I once had in my eyes have dimmed. I've seen a side of development work that I never learned from my college textbooks with all of its hurdles and pitfalls. However I am not disillusioned. Yes I won't be changing the world, but I'm satisfied right now with being able to change a puny corner of it. I get what hunger means, because I've seen it and to a certain extent felt it. Ever have small children rummage through your garbage looking for morsels of food you may have forgotten to eat? I still take bucket baths even though I have running water at my new site. I remember the long lines in the scorching desert sun to fetch water from nearly dead pumps, and as I get to the front twenty minutes it would so miraculously die. So I don't take water for granted. Learning to accept that there are many things in my environment that I can't control had been a challenge, but essential to me keeping my sanity here. People who throw snot rockets on the ground no longer freak me out. There is an inverse learning curve here, the longer I am here the more ignorant I feel I am about the world. This job requires you to learn humility because you will be shamed in every which way. In this job you will fail. I have. I just dust myself off and try again. This past year hasn't been the easiest journey but so far so good, and hey I am still in one piece! People say that the second year goes by faster. I almost wish it wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment