Thursday, November 24, 2011

Shit

Human excrement has never been the sexiest conversation topic but an important one nonetheless. The United Nations has declared November 19th to be World Toilette Day. To the average Westerner this title may evoke some chuckles but billions of people in developing nations are afflicted by poor or no access to proper water or sanitation. After having a conversation with the Minister of Water and Sanitation Region Sofia I learned that in my region only 6% of the population has access to latrines or toilette facillaties and 19% to clean water. I see this even in my community. Many children bath in the same streams where cattle trod and women do their laundry, as well as where some people relieve themselves. It's a problem now especially now during rainy season the stream will run down carrying all of the feces where the children bath. They receive parasites that make them lose hair on some places in their scalp. Water, a human right...right? My village pumps are locked during some hours of the day, especially now when water has been become more scare. I've been trying to educate children to wash their hands more often with soap, which is hard to do since at home this is not enforced as well as washing their hands after going to the bathroom (going outside, i.e. my backyard). I know I'm not a health volunteer but I feel like health issues are some of the largest concerns in my community.

so today on Thanksgiving be thankful for having access to toilettes, clean water, and access to hospitals and doctors.


No comments:

Post a Comment