Tuesday, July 19, 2011

karakory baba? a term of endearment

I've learned to yell....no scream. In Tsimihety land people have no reservations at yelling their innermost angsts at each other over long distances, sometimes whole rice fields. It was a shock at first, coming from the highlands where I felt people spoke in hushed voices. I found I actually really enjoy this. I especially like yelling the greeting "karakory oah baba?" to my male friends. This means, "what's up dude?" And is used somewhat as a term of endearment, since baba is a term of respect you use for older males (and mama for women). I've learned not to be overly nice or too polite, in terms of Western standards (I try to mirror how my village interacts with each other). When I was reserved and polite (in my view of course), it really separated me from others and made them think I was miavona or snobby. There was an "air" about me and people acted differently around me, thus was a minus for my integration. Of course there are social etiquettes that you use with people of authority, like for example the mayor or gendarme. Another thing I don't feel is pity for people here, despite the fact that most of the people in my village have much less than I do in terms of material possessions. Pity is condescending and I feel is objectifying; it suggests that I am on a different plane than the people in my community. Instead I understand that due to many factors (whether relating, to geography, history, colonization, etc.) people struggle on a day to day basis to feed their families here. They are no better or worse than I am, but rather our lives were shaped by outside circumstances. Its really humbling to see my neighbor give me mustard leaves that she needed to hike 6 kilometers for uphill, barefoot to obtain when she can't even afford to buy sponges to wash her dishes.

2 comments:

  1. Karakory oah mama!!! Miss u chen! Your blog is really inspring keep it coming :)

    ReplyDelete